Name/Pen Name: Rimui
Favorite manga: Yowamushi Pedal
Favorite movie: Joker
Favorite Quote: “The pain passes, but the beauty remains.”-Pierre-Auguste Renoir
“Make something you are really interested in and make it simple!”
- How does it feel to receive a SILENT MANGA AUDITION® award?
Japan is a fantasy country of manga, so I am very happy to win this award.
- What was the inspiration behind your awarded work?
My younger brother is an amateur taxidermist, so he used to pick up dead animals, and there were lots of bones in his room.
- What challenges did you face while making your manga? How did you overcome them?
The hardest part is putting dramatic tension in the normal process. I imagine that people misunderstand when they only see snippets.
About your Manga
- How and when did you start making manga? Any advice for beginners?
After being in the workforce for two years, I started making manga. At first, I imitated my favorite works. By repeatedly creating manga, you will find the best way to make it. It is important to continue to absorb good works.
- Do you draw your manga digitally or by hand? What are your go-to digital or analogue tools?
Digitally, with Clip Studio.
- What was the first manga you picked up?
Doraemon when I was in Elementary School.
- Which manga changed your life?
Yamada Tarō Monogatari by Ai Morinaga-sensei. I learned the tempo of humor from this work.
- Which manga character do you most identify with? Why?
Ippo Makunouchi from Hajime no Ippo. He has integrity and works hard, and bravely takes on challenges.
- What kind of manga do you want to make next?
About sports or a different profession.
- What do you do when you’re not making manga? How do you relax?
I watch Japanese dramas. I have actually just finished watching the drama Old Fashioned Cupcake. There are many types of manga and dramas in Japan; there is no limit and it is very interesting.
- Where do you see your manga career in 5 years time?
I’m sure I will make more interesting manga in the next five years.
- What manga making advice would you give to your younger self if you could?
Start early and make more!
- What advice would you give to people entering the SILENT MANGA AUDITION®?
Make something you are really interested in and make it simple!
Thank you, Rimui! We’re eagerly expecting your next manga masterpiece!
Get some inspiration by checking out the other AMAZING awarded works from SMA17!