Name: Wilfried Bento
Manga: Guardians of Temptation
Award: Honourable Mention
Favorite manga: Dragon Ball
Favorite movie: Old Boy (Park Chan-Wook)
Favorite band/musician: Stevie Wonder
About the SMA
- How does it feel to win a SILENT MANGA AUDITION® award?
It’s great! I feel my work has recognition.
- What was the inspiration behind your winning work?
I was looking for a story on the emblematic heritage of France, and when I started to move towards Notre-Dame I wanted to deal with a forbidden relationship within a place of worship.
- What challenges did you face making your manga? How did you overcome them?
The architecture of Notre-Dame! I have taken many architectural references and I also visited Notre-Dame where I took reference photos.
- How and when did you start making manga? Any advice for beginners?
I have always drawn, loved telling stories and devoured manga, so I started to draw manga instinctively from a young age. Advice for beginners? There are no secrets too success, just observe, diligently practice and have a lot of patience.
- What was the first manga you picked up?
Dragon Ball! I remember it was the volume 26, with Goku against Freeza!
- Which manga changed your life?
Dragon Ball was my first love and the one that inspired me to draw manga! But Kokô no Hito (孤高の人) from Sakamoto-sensei was the title that made me want to become a professional!
- Which manga character do you most identify with? Why?
Buntarô Mori from Kokô no Hito! Because he’s a loner like me and he lives his passion at 100%.
- What kind of manga do you want to make next?
I have many ideas, but a seinen style, realistic story is the type of I prefer telling.
- What do you do when you’re not making manga? How do you relax?
I watch movies and series! i’m a big lover movies.
- What industry do you work in (If manga making isn’t your primary job)
I am a painter and illustrator.
- Where do you see your manga career in 5 years time?
I hope I will be working on my own published manga!
- What advice would you give to people entering the SILENT MANGA AUDITION®?
Just show your personal style! Personally, what I love in this contest is the multitude of different style from the award winners!
Wilfred’s previous work!