Name: João Eddie
Favorite manga: Solanin
Favorite movie: El Labirinto del Fauno
Favorite quote: “One page per day”
“…with each new work comes new learning.”
1. How does it feel to win a SILENT MANGA AUDITION® award?
It’s always a wonderful surprise. I am delighted to be recognized among so many great authors of such creative works.
2. What were your first impressions of the theme?
When the theme was announced, I found it very attractive and challenging. There are many possibilities for working on a story focused on a promise. However, it is quite dangerous to fall into clichés. My idea was to keep the focus on the theme, but enrich the it with several more elements.
3. What was the inspiration behind your winning work?
Dog Days shows a very difficult period in Brazil’s history. With the current political situation very tense, that period is being remembered. Despite this, Dog Days has many comical moments as well. The sources of inspiration were many, namely Linkin Park’s “From The Inside” music video, the song “Dog Days are over” from Florence And The Machine, and also the lyrics of Geraldo Vandré’s “Pra não dizer que não falei das flores”.
4. What challenges did you face making your manga? How did you overcome them?
The challenges were many indeed! Dog Days has a lot of action in different points in each frame. Many characters in each panel are doing things independently of each other, so drawing them at the same angle in the right way was complicated. Ashita no Joe is a manga that has scenes with various characters and does it beautifully, that manga inspired me also.
5. What did you learn from making your manga? Did you pick up any new skills or techniques?
I think that with each new work comes new learning. This time I tried using the isometric perspective on several frames, which reminds me a bit of classic super Famicom games. I also experimented with nine vertical frames per page, which is something used in American comics, but in manga is something relatively unusual… I found the result interesting.
6. How important is entering the SILENT MANGA AUDITION® in relation to your Professional goals?
Having my work recognized by some of the greatest names in manga is very rewarding. With each round I participate in, I feel I am becoming a better artist.
7. What advice would you give to people entering the SILENT MANGA AUDITION®?
Hard work pays off!
To keep up-to-date on João’s manga making, check out his tumblr page!