2015 “WINTER” YEAR ROUND IS CLOSED!
FOR LATEST INFORMATION, PLEASE VISIT THIS PAGE :
2015, 3rd Year Round of Silent Manga Audition is Open for entry!
There are important changes and additional rules, new from 2015 round.
Please be extra-cautious before commencing your work!
Update 2014/9 The 2015 theme is “Mamma(Mother)”!
Important changes for 2015 year round :
1. All Manga are now to be drawn for “Right-to-Left” (Japan standard) Page order. This is to help with the publication of the compilation volume. Watch out when locating those panels!
2. You do NOT need to include “entry.txt / jpg” file that was mandated in 2013 round. Please do not include the file, as it may be processed automatically and become visible to the public on our manga viewer system!
3. We require everyone to submit “Thumbnail” image that will display on the “World Map” feature of our website. Image should be named “thumbnail.png” in ratio of 3:2, (portrait), recommended size is “width:400px x height:600px”. Please note this image indicates your work of Manga, and not author profile. If you wish to include your author signature or image, please include it with character from that particular piece. You may use .psd or .png transparency feature to enhance appearance.
4. When sending by post, we now require you to register your work into our online system, same as with online-only entries. Instead of your manga pages, please include an image file named “entry_details.jpg”, stating how we should expect your work to arrive. ( by post? parcel ID number? ETA? )
5. We recommend to utilise “Double Page Spread” in your manga for more dynamic effect. For this, we require upon entry, to state if “page 1” of your manga is a “single” or one half of a “double”. (Please see the attachment.) If no preference, we recommend staring with a single page as an intro page, making “page 2,3” a double spread is a popular method but not required.
For Single pages:
For Double Page Spreads:
6. Our “Fine Print” is now MUCH longer. Please make sure you understand to be bound by the terms before submitting your Manga!
“The homeland of manga, Japan, is seeking your talent!!”
Do you have what it takes to be the next manga star?
Read the following rules and regulations, to submit your work.
2015 Theme : “Mamma (Mother)”
It could be the fond memories from your childhood, maybe something you have done this year on mother’s day, maybe you have already parted with her, perhaps a bird was imprinted with something funny, or as the saying goes, the “mother of all…” something.
We use the word “Mother” in a variety of ways, on this mother Earth. (Another!)
Use your imagination, memories and inspirations to weave a story, and show the world in Silent Manga!
Silent Manga Audition Rules
“No Words, No Story”
Submissions are judged based on the author’s use of a manga artist’s most valuable skill: performance. Please express the selected “one emotion” only, in a way that is uniquely yours.
No need to come up with a complex story. The important thing is to convey the selected theme to your readers. Visually depict your characters emotions without relying on a backstory and gimmicks.
Professionals and amateurs, of any gender, age or nationality, all are welcome to apply!
“Dialogue is not to be used in the manga”
The challenge is to use only your talent at visual performance.
Entry Detail, rules and updates are posted on official website and Facebook page. The Award winners will have chance to have their work published in a Japanese Manga magazine! Entries will also be published on our website!
31st of March 2015
The results of this award will be announced in July 2015, on www.manga-audition.com .
We will start accepting entries in September 2014, via online entry system + postal mail.
Respected professional manga artists will view your work!!
Tsukasa Houjou – “City Hunter”
Tetsuo Hara – “Hokuto no Ken” (The Fist of the North Star)
Nobuhiko Horie – CEO, Coamix Corp. (Former Chief Editor, “Monthly Comic Zenon”, “Weekly Shonen Jump”)
Comic Zenon Editorial Team
Silent Manga Audition Committee
Winner : JPY 500,000
Winner Runner-up : JPY 300,000
Excellence : JPY 100,000
Excellence Runner-Up : JPY 30,000
Honourable Mention : JPY 10,000
Messages from the Manga Masters to Ambitious Authors :
They say the devil is in the details. In manga, the more attention you pay to the details, the more life your characters will have. It is this philosophy that has made Japan’s manga culture beloved throughout the world. I look forward to fighting alongside the authors of the world.
As in movies, a simple change of camera angle in Manga can make a scene fun or sad. Even with the same facial expression, it is possible to convey different emotions. I hope everyone will enjoy the “power of performance” that is the core of manga, as they work on their projects.
It’s been over 60 years since an author from Osamu Tezuka’s generation developed manga into a accepted form of expression. In Japan, manga has spread itself into new frontiers and many new talented artists have discovered themselves. Historically, manga has used the same flow as movies to express the essence of action and movement. Manga has the power to move people. This is the idea that was the foundation for the Silent Manga Audition. Please test the expressive power of your country’s manga.
Application : Online
Submit your application via entry system on www.manga-audition.com .
2015 entries will be accepted starting September 2014.
Application : By Post
When sending by post, we now require you to register your work into our online system, same as with online-only entries. Instead of your manga pages, please include an image file named “entry_details.jpg”, stating how we should expect your work to arrive. ( by post? parcel ID number? ETA? )
*If you wish to have your submission returned to you, please provide a self-addressed envelope with appropriate postage. If sending by post we advise you to keep a photocopy of the work, in case there may be problems during transmission.
Send Application to:
Silent Manga Audition Committee
3rd Floor, Kichijoji Zizo bld., Kichijoji-Minami Cho 1-9-9,
Musashino, Tokyo, JAPAN, 180-0003
# Our office moved Dec 2013. Please be extra careful as there may be old information else where on the web!
By submitting to the Silent Manga Audition, you agree to be bound by the following agreement with North Stars Pictures, Inc. In this agreement North Stars Pictures, Inc. is called “NSP”, and NSP together with its affiliated companies and owners, the other parties involved in the Silent Manga Audition and their editors, officers and other employees are collectively called the “Silent Manga Audition Committee.” If you are submitting on behalf of a team, you must designate one member with whom we will communicate, however all members must submit the entry form and be bound by this agreement. If you are not legally an adult in your jurisdiction, your parent or guardian must consent.
By submitting the manga you are representing that it is solely your work, that it has not yet been used or otherwise published anywhere and that it is not an imitation, parody, or otherwise a version of some other work. You acknowledge that Silent Manga Audition Committee receives many submissions and may separately develop a manga similar to yours. You agree that nothing you submit will be returned. All of the information in your submission (including your legal name) is correct.
If you are awarded a prize, without further compensation you grant Silent Manga Audition Committee a perpetual, worldwide, exclusive, royalty-free, sublicensable and transferable right:
1. To edit, translate, modify and publish your manga in magazines and other printed media, including stand-alone manga book volumes.
2. To edit, translate, modify and distribute your manga as an e-book or in other electronic form.
3. To edit, translate, modify, publish, distribute, copy, adapt, and otherwise use your manga, including any elements of your manga alone or in combination with other material commercially or otherwise and in video or any other media, provided that the principal purpose is promoting your manga, the concept of silent manga or the Silent Manga Audition.
Any use of the submission other than those mentioned above will require further agreement between Silent Manga Audition Committee and you in advance. (This includes cases where you wish to use the submission in some way—you may not publish or use in any way the manga you submit without our agreement.)
Regardless of whether you are awarded a prize, by submitting your manga, you grant the Silent Manga Audition Committee, without compensation, the non-exclusive right to publish, use, adapt, edit and modify your manga, including by displaying your manga on the internet, and to use your name, age, country and other information you provide in connection with your work or the Silent Manga Audition. The submission will be considered as published in Japan first, and will therefore be subject to the copyright law of Japan.
Should either of the following circumstances apply to a submission, it will be disqualified:
1. Your submission was already submitted to another manga contest, or was otherwise already published or used.
2. Your submission belongs to, or in some way infringes on the rights/profits of or defames, a third party.
The Silent Manga Audition Committee bears no liability for any loss caused from downloading any material from the Silent Manga Audition web site or from the content of third party web sites that may be linked to the Silent Manga Audition web site by a hypertext link. The Silent Manga Audition Committee reserves the right to cancel or modify the Silent Manga Audition if fraud, technical failures, commercial practicability or any other factor, in the Silent Manga Audition Committee’s reasonable judgment makes its conduct impractical. The Silent Manga Audition Committee assumes no liability whatsoever for losses incurred as a result of cancellation or modification of the Silent Manga Audition. By acceptance of any prize, you agree to release, indemnify and hold harmless the Silent Manga Audition Committee from any liability arising from your participation in the Silent Manga Audition.
This is a legal agreement that will be interpreted in accordance with the law of Japan. This agreement may not be terminated, revoked or waived without a writing signed by you and NSP, and there is no other agreement, written or otherwise, between us on this subject matter. Any dispute between you and any Silent Manga Audition Committee party that cannot be resolved by discussion shall be resolved in Tokyo District Court.
And don’t forget, this year we are giving away 100 copies of Clip Studio Pro, the drawing tool used by thousands of professionals!
Tweet your dream manga, and a copy will be yours 😉